This article applies to systems being managed by an Enterprise Server v2.5.2 or later. If your Enterprise Server is earlier then please follow our relevant knowledge base article by clicking here.
You will need to have previously installed DESlock+ on the client workstation via either downloading a merged install or using the push install system as detailed in the following articles:
How do I download a merged install for installation on a Workstation?
How do I push DESlock+ to a remote machine?
You should also ensure your server has the required licence already added as detailed here:
How do I add a new client licence to my Enterprise Server?
Note: Activation data is stored within the user's Windows profile. If you are setting up a system for someone else you should login to their Windows profile when performing the activation process detailed below.
Once the client software is installed and the system restarted, the workstation will be in a state where it is asking for an activation code.
If the activation box you are seeing does not match the above activation box, then you will have installed a standalone version of DESlock+ instead of a managed version. To convert this install to be managed, please see our knowledge base article KB286 - How do I convert a standalone install to a managed install
- Login to your Enterprise Server.
- If you need to activate multiple users with the same licence type then do not select an individual user from the list, just simply click the Generate Activation Codes button. (Note: if the user does not yet exist use the Add button to add them).
- Select the licence type in the list and choose whether or not you are going to send the activation code to the user in an email by either leaving the Send users Activation Code in an E-mail? check box checked if you want to or uncheck it if you do not. (Please note that to do this you will need to have input your SMTP Server Settings in to the Enterprise Server, if you haven't done this and would like to please see our knowledge base article - KB168: How do I get the Enterprise Server to email my users?) then click the Next button.
- Select the licence type for the user then click the Generate button.
- Once the code has been generated, if you have input your SMTP Server settings into the Enterprise Server and left the check box checked, the user will receive the following email from the 'Enterprise Server Administrator'. (Please note that if you would like to customise the email sent to your users, the knowledge base article KB144 - How can I modify email templates used by the Enterprise Server? details whiow to do this)
- Click the Activate DESlock+ button and the activation code emailed will be used to activate the software. If the Use Windows Password workstation policy setting is set to 'Yes' (this is set to 'Yes' by default) then no further action will be required by the user and they will get the notification (shown below) that DESlock+ has been activated.
- Alternatively, if you have not added your SMTP server settings to the Enterprise Server then an Activation Code will not be emailed to the user. Or if the user doesn't click the Activate DESlock+ button in the email, then in both instances the user will need to input their activation code. This can be done by typing it into the box or copying from the activation email or from the 'Activation' tab in the user card and pasting it into the activation user interface then clicking OK.
- The user will be prompted to specify and confirm a password for their Key-File.
- If password policy is enabled the coloured progress bar will fill as the password is entered. The bar will need to be completely filled green to proceed. If the user is unsure of what the password policy is then they can hover over the progress bar where they will be shown the password requirements and as they type their password, they will be given confirmation of which element of the password policy they have satisfied. Please see here for more details: KB309 - What is password policy?
- Once this is done click the OK button.
- Click the Proxy Sync button on the Enterprise Server.
- You will see the users state change to User is active, their icon colour change to green and the workstation activated appear in their Workstations list.