Note: The upgrade process is seamless in DESlock+ Client version 4.9.0 and onwards when using 'Check for Updates' in Windows Settings.
The following instructions are intended for users who cannot upgrade to 4.9.0 or do not have Internet access on the machine they wish to update.
Using the Windows Media Creation tool to download the latest Windows ISO and install the update by using our Windows 10 Feature Updater Utility. The utility can be used to upgrade your machine from Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or from an earlier version of Windows 10.
Step 1. Create the Windows 10 Media ISO
You can perform this step on any Windows PC.
- Download the Microsoft Media Creation tool from the following link: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209
- Run MediaCreationTool.exe from the folder you downloaded it to.
- Select the Create installation media for another PC option and click Next.
The tool will ask which version of the Windows 10 install you require. If you are running the tool on the PC being upgraded, or all PCs being upgraded are the same variant of Windows, you can accept the default choices. Otherwise, you should make the appropriate choice for the PC you will be updating.
Note: It is important that the correct version of Windows and language is picked to match your existing system.
- Choose to create either a USB flash drive or an ISO file. If you select an ISO file, then you will need to turn it into a bootable USB or DVD later. In our example we will select ISO file.
- Choose where to save the Windows ISO file. We have selected the Downloads folder.
- Wait for the download to complete.
- You can either open the DVD burner now or click Finish to complete the creation.
- In our example we will click Open DVD burner to burn the ISO to a DVD.
- Insert a DVD and click Burn.
Step 2. Installing the Windows 10 Feature Update
On the PC you are updating:
- Either burn the Windows ISO image to a DVD, create a bootable USB with the ISO or Mount the ISO on the machine you are updating.
- Download and Run the following executable: DESlock+Win10Updater
- Press Go.
- Ensuring you have the Windows ISO disc inserted or mounted, locate the Setup.exe in the Windows ISO and double-click it.
- Wait for the Windows update to start.
- Follow the Windows update steps to complete the Windows upgrade process. Please note: your PC will restart several times during this process. You will need to provide the FDE credentials each time the machine restarts.
- Click Install to begin installing the update.
If Single Sign-On (SSO) has been enabled, you must also follow the article below:
KB396 - Single Sign-On (SSO) Access Denied after Windows 10 upgrade
KB465 - Technical Details regarding DESlock+ and Windows Feature Updates
keywords: windows, update, manual, ISO, feature, update, media creation tool