Affected Products: ESET Endpoint Products 8.x
After installing module updates ESET will show the alert "Secure Browser is non-functional"
ESET is aware of the "Secure Browser is Non-functional" notification displayed in ESET Endpoint Security and ESET PROTECT. The notification is triggered by the Antivirus and Antispyware scanner module update (version 1571) in version 8 of ESET Endpoint Security.
We identified the notification to be a result of an update of the
eelam.sys driver. The product incorrectly checked the state of Secure Browser’s driver. Secure Browser is by default disabled, which caused ESET Endpoint Security and ESET PROTECT to trigger the notification.
The notification will only appear for users with the following criteria:
- Running EP8 (e.g. if you are running EP7 while receiving this module the issue will not occur if you upgrade to EP8 afterwards)
- Secure Browser disabled (which is the case by default)
- Antivirus and Antispyware Module 1571 installed (at this point the alert will be triggered)
Possible solutions include:
- Reboot of the system (Perhaps Fast Startup caused problems for users that reported this didn’t work?)
- Enable Secure Browser and disable it again after the error is gone. (either locally or via policy)
Partial work-around to prevent users that do not have the module yet to receive the alert:
- Disable the “secure browser is non-functional” application status:
This is not ideal and will still show a “red 1” at settings section of GUI:
- Temporarily enable Secure Browser on systems that do not yet have the Antivirus and Antispyware Module 1571 to prevent the warning from triggering.
This issue will be resolved in the next product release. We apologize for any inconvenience.