If you are using the Enterprise Server to manage your users and you want to change a DESlock+ client from a standalone installation, to a managed installation please follow the steps below.
If you have encrypted any USB flash drives/hard drives, files, folders etc. on this workstation then they must be decrypted first before adopting the installation. If the system has been full disk encrypted then it is not necessary to decrypt it first, instead you can simply adopt the full disk encrypted system into your Enterprise Server.
For more information about decrypting files and folders please see the related articles
section near the end of this article.
For more information about adopting a full disk encrypted machine please see the optional
- In the Enterprise Server navigate to the relevant Workstation Policy tab and click the Download Settings File button.
- This will open the user interface asking if you would like to download the current format file or a legacy file format. Click Ok and save the .reg file to a USB flash drive or network location.
- From the system which has the standalone version installed. Copy the .reg file to the desktop and double click it. You will be asked if you are sure you want to make changes to the registry. Click Yes.
- You will be asked for confirmation to apply changes to the registry and a dialog will appear confirming the changes have been applied.
- Click Close.
- Double click on the DESlock+ shield icon in the Notification area and you will be presented with the following activation dialog.
- Generate a new activation code for the user and enter it into the activation dialog.
See KB216 - How do I activate a new client (Enterprise Server v2.5.2 or later)?
If your workstation policy is set to NOT use a Windows password then you will need to set a password for the user that meets the policy settings
- Synchronize the Enterprise Server and then synchronize the client PC to update the status of the user.
See KB195 - How do I manually synchronise the Enterprise Server and DESlock+ client?
The client machine will now be under the control of the Enterprise Server.
Optional: FDE adoption
If you are taking over an unmanaged PC running DESlock+ is full disk encrypted, you can 'adopt' the workstation in the Enterprise Server to save time of going through decrypting the drives, activating the workstation and then re-running full disk encryption again. To do this follow these steps:
- In the Enterprise Server navigate to the User, select Details and click Workstations.
See KB332 - How do I view Workstation Details?
- Select the workstation and then click Goto.
- When the Workstation Details are displayed, click the Adopt button.
- Input the old admin details, new admin details, password attempt settings then click the Adopt button. If required the existing admin password can be reused.
Note: the old admin password can be found in the adminpassword file that was created when the system was encrypted using the standalone client, it is used with the username 'admin' without quotes. If incorrect credentials are provided for the original admin login an access denied alert will be returned to the Enterprise Server.
See KB164 - Why do I need an admin password?
- Go to the Enterprise Server and click Proxy Sync you should see an alert in the lower right corner which reads 'Adopt FDE command processed successfully'.
KB19 - How do I encrypt or decrypt folders?
KB317 - How do I encrypt or decrypt individual files?
Keywords: convert, standalone, managed, DESlock+